Roger marches on

30.06.2008 | Tennis

Roger served his way into the quarter-finals at Wimbledon with a straight-sets victory over Lleyton Hewitt today: 7-6 (7), 6-2, 6-4.

"I think I served really well, which was important against Lleyton," Federer admitted. "I saw he was struggling with his hip but nevertheless, he was dangerous. I think the key was the first set tie-break and afterwards I played consistently well and saved a lot of break points."

The victory secured the top ranking for at least another week for Roger, regardless of how he fares the rest of the tournament. He now has a 14-7 win-loss record - including 12 straight victories - against Hewitt, the last man to win Wimbledon before Roger began his dominance of the event.

Federer took time to settle before clinching the first-set tiebreak on his fourth set point with an ace. From that moment, he stepped up, winning the fourth game to love for a 4-0 lead in the second set, which he closed out comfortably. After a total of 110 minutes he then converted his second match-ball with the 46th service-winner (21 of which were aces).

Roger next faces Mario Ancic, the last man to beat him at Wimbeldon and today the winner of a 13-11 final-set epic against Fernando Verdasco.

07/02/2008 | 09:20 PM
Roger,

Congratulations on your magnificent display of shots and aces.
Wonderful to hear your warm act on Mario during and after the match.

Something is wrong with my office computer. I could not get into the Wimbledon website, so could not watch
07/02/2008 | 09:03 PM
Nadal breaks again in the 3rd set, oh the match is already over, Murray is not going to be able to come back, I wonder what Tomorrow's London paper will be. This is the best Nadal has ever played on grass. Murray had no chance, what a disappointment.
07/02/2008 | 08:56 PM
Hey all,

A new thread is up on the site--just!

Cheers,
MC
07/02/2008 | 08:46 PM
Is Andy finally waking up?
07/02/2008 | 08:41 PM
Congratulations....you must be awarded wimbledon!!!
07/02/2008 | 08:39 PM
Roger's post-match press conf:

/news/interviews/2008-07-02
/200807021215021824484.html
07/02/2008 | 08:34 PM
***pokah22**At this rate, I think someone in the crowd should take over for Andy. Anyone. Let's hope he digs very, very deep!

***JEUX-SET-MATCH***It will take a whale of a sushi to revive Murray!
07/02/2008 | 08:24 PM
Souji5, ur right, this match is boring, Nadal's matches are usually boring, I hate to watch his matches, the way he picks his butt, the time it takes him to serve and the moaning and groaning that he does at all times. Murray on the other hand is playing
07/02/2008 | 08:24 PM
Murray looks completely flat. He should go out to drink some very strong coffee! So depressing to watch!
07/02/2008 | 08:16 PM
I don't think I want to watch this match anymore: Murray is losing all heart, Nadal is playing his usual boxing "UNHs" match, and the crowd has been the biggest disappointment -- I thought they would trouble Nadal. JMac and gang are going on and on, oh Na