Roger upset in Cincinnati

31.07.2008 | Tennis

Roger had to face a 7-6 (8), 4-6, 7-6 (7) loss to Ivo Karlovic in two hours and eleven minutes in Cincinnati today. It was his first defeat against the Croatian in seven encounters.

The tie-break of the first set proved a close affair, but the key moment came when 16th seed Karlovic stopped mid-point to challenge a line call, with Hawk-Eye showing Roger had pushed his shot long. That gave Karlovic set point on serve and the Croatian took full advantage to wrap up the opener. Roger finally secured the first break of the match in game five as Karlovic sent a forehand long, and it proved decisive as the world number one went on to level the match.

Neither player could gain the upper hand in the third set and another tie-break was needed to settle the match.

Karlovic claimed the first two points - the second of which came on Roger's serve - allowing him to carve out three match points. And although the Croatian pushed the first two long, our champ then hit a long return of his own to hand the match to Karlovic.

The outcome opened the way for Rafael Nadal to take over the top spot by winning the Cincinnati Masters. Roger has been ranked No. 1 for a record 235 consecutive weeks, a streak that will end if Nadal — who was scheduled to play Thursday night — adds to his run of five consecutive tournament titles.

08/06/2008 | 11:08 PM
Dear Roger,

So sorry for your lost. It’s one of those days. Let’s it goes.

Win and loss is a part of the game. Rise and fall is a part of our life. As we khow nothing stays the same as it’s used to be, except your greatness of tennis for past four y
08/06/2008 | 11:07 PM
Dear Roger,

So sorry for your lost. It’s one of those days. Let’s it goes.

08/06/2008 | 03:45 PM
Dear Roger,

I never felt so sad in my left than the death of my mom and your loss everytime. I really am depressed especially since wimbledon. I hope you're coping well. I keep praying for you no matter what.

On the bright side, I'm confident these
08/06/2008 | 05:44 AM
perdiste pero tu eres el mejor 235 semanas cosecutivas super no todo wl mundo hace eso para mi el mejor el maestro del tenis sigue adelante que tu todavia tienes mucho que dar
08/06/2008 | 02:24 AM
HELLO Dearest Roger!

I am so sorry for the late comment, actually i was not at my place. I am really sorry Roger on your defeat at Cincinnati, but no worries. You are the best sportsman ever in my eyes. A true Champ, a kind human. I agree with one of t
08/06/2008 | 02:09 AM
as a spectator :
i wanna tell you that during the recent months you haven't been able to control your anger lke you used to do .well if that's not true it's okay but that's what we see and what -unfortunately- your opponents notice and exploit from .
a
08/06/2008 | 01:50 AM
u still have the whole time to regroup your powers and we'll see you in the best shape like forever.
i believe in you .have faith in u and always be sure that you'll blow me away with an extraordinary game to come.
i love you like i can't breathe
pleas
08/06/2008 | 01:50 AM
i love you like i can't breathe
pleas
08/05/2008 | 10:23 PM
Dear Roger,

I was at Cincy, my first ever ATP tournament, and happily saw you play your two matches as well as seeing you practice 3 times. It was still not enough to get my RF cap signed, I was always in the wrong place at the right time!

Anyway, I
08/05/2008 | 05:41 PM
hola roger, por favor no te desanimes, segui adelante y recupera lo que te pertenece, y que nadie mas que vos debe tener