A good start

27.08.2008 | Tennis

Roger opened his bid for a fifth successive US Open title with a straightforward 6-3, 6-0, 6-3 victory over Argentina's Maximo Gonzalez in the opening round.

"The Olympic doubles gave me a great lift," Roger said after the match. "I'm really inspired and motivated to do well here."

Our champ, who last year won his 12th Grand Slam title with victory at Flushing Meadows to move within two of Pete Sampras' record, was clearly at home on the Arthur Ashe Stadium hardcourt, defeating world number 118 Gonzalez in one hour 21 minutes. Roger broke Gonzalez in the eighth game and took the first set comfortably before winning the second set without dropping a game. Gonzalez lost his opening service game in the third set, but broke back immediately before Roger regained control with a break in the seventh game.

Next up is Brazilian Thiago Alves, the world number 137, who beat Chile's Paul Capdeville in five sets.

09/02/2008 | 07:58 PM
Go Roger go.....!you are the best...i am a die hard fan of Urs.....if not U who else can win this slam.....come back and make us proud to be a Roger fan.....
08/29/2008 | 11:28 PM
*** marycorbin

You are probably right that chocolate is not good far cats and cows, but I am happy that Rudy got something to celebrate with! Violette had some clover.

I buy Villars chocolate. I am lucky enough that my grocery store nearby has a g
08/29/2008 | 11:20 PM
****DEAR WILLSON**

PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK TELL ME HOW ON
EARTH ROGER FEDERER WILL BE ABLE TO
WINN THIS USA OPEN WITH THIS KIND OF
TENNIS SORRY BUT I AM THAT OLD AND HAVE
SEEN MANY PLAYERS PASSING THE SCENE
IN TENNIS SO MY EXPERIENCE IS ENOUGH
TO
08/29/2008 | 11:16 PM
Congratulations Roger! I knew that you would be a winner today:) I was a bit surprised by your high amount of unforced errorrs but I am sure that you will have that under control in your next match. At least you will know a little bit more about your opp
08/29/2008 | 11:11 PM
***Boting***
The more federer plays, the better he'll get. He is not going to be playing great all the time, and today was one of the days when he had too many errors. But, we all hope as he must that he'll play better in the next round and conditions wi
08/29/2008 | 10:50 PM
***Boting***

I know that your flag is Dutch, but per chance are you visiting Israel right now?

Seems as though you've parked yourself at the "Wailing Wall".
08/29/2008 | 10:48 PM
I couldn't continue watching the game from 2nd set onwards as it really tested my nerve. My heart was beating so fast that I thought Federer was going to lose as he just couldn't break the serve and he made quite a few unforced errors. I couldn't sleep as
08/29/2008 | 10:46 PM
***Boting***

I know you're serious overall. Honestly, my theory is that Roger is stuck in one of these bad zones that he will just have to endure and work through the hard way. No amount of effort and good living solves these syndromes. Eventually,
08/29/2008 | 10:44 PM
***marycorbin

Although Violette, Blandine and Rudolph are not related they do look alike and certainly sing to the same song!!
08/29/2008 | 10:41 PM

Apparently,

N.Y.C. LOVES R.F.

Well, can you blame them ?