Roger wins marathon match

03.09.2008 | Tennis

Roger needed five sets and 3 1/2 hours to beat Igor Andreev and continue his quest for a fifth straight U.S. Open title: 6-7 (7), 7-6 (5), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

"I'm really happy the way I played. I really think I served well," Roger said immediately after closing out his win. "God, the guy's a good player, so I'm really, really happy."

With his last defeat in Flushing going back to 2003, Roger now has a winning streak of 31 here. He overcame 60 unforced errors, but dominated at the net, winning 58 of a possible 84 points against Andrejew. His opponent was just 12-of-28 on his net approaches. Also, the Russian converted just 2-of-15 break point chances.

Roger won the first three games of the final set, which included a key break of serve in the second game. Andreev was successful on a drop shot, but our star returned the ball to the right corner, and the Russian's backhand went wide as Roger went up 2-0. Then came four break point saves by Roger in the seventh game, when he went ahead 5-2 before finally serving out for the match. It marked just the third time ever that he has played five sets at the U.S. Open.

Roger meets an unlikely opponent in the quarterfinals: Gilles Muller of Luxembourg. Muller upset fifth-seeded Russian Nikolay Davydenko, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (12-10).

09/05/2008 | 03:01 AM
Hi Rogerholics Friends
Are you staying in this thread to comment Andy/Djerko or moving to the last thread?
09/05/2008 | 02:54 AM
Am I the only one watching this crappy Roddick match?? Don't know how much more of it I can take. I just want to know the winner--so far no sparks or any trace of the trash-talking that took place off the court. More hype than anything else and so fa
09/05/2008 | 02:37 AM
Why does Roddick always have to be in such a hurry? He makes me dizzy with his pacing up and down not to mention that mesmerizing striped shirt.
09/05/2008 | 12:38 AM
Well done Roger!!!
You played great against Muller also!!!!
Keep focus!!!
Good luck for semis!
09/05/2008 | 12:26 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ROGER THE GREAT!

I think you didn’t do more nor less than you needed. It’s OK!

Looking forward to the Bederest Report from ****sheleo
and wishing all American ****Rogerholics a good NADAKOVIC match (like most Europeans and Asians, I
09/05/2008 | 12:16 AM
Dear Roger,

BRAVO, BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS !!!
You were fantastic, amazing. You are the CHAMPION, the MAESTRO.
I'm so happy, that you won.
Nice to see your smile again and again ...
GOOD LUCK in SF (18 Grand Slam SF !!!!).
Just believe - you CAN
09/05/2008 | 12:16 AM
Whoever says Federer is not playing convincingly should watch him lift the US OPEN trophy.

(MARK MY WORDS )
09/05/2008 | 12:12 AM
Greg Rusedski's talk about Federer following the match really made me angry.

He said Federer is relying on his "instincts" to execute his shots , that's simply not true.

He also said if Muller wasn't exhausted he would have taken 2 sets off Federer
09/05/2008 | 12:08 AM
**Willsson, **Takeko,
The Roddick-Djoko match is scheduled at 20:00, so it will be easier for people who get up early tomorrow.
Andy should bring some gloves and a mask to wear when he needs to get close to the infectious Djoko (SRAS, bird flu, antrax!!
09/05/2008 | 12:05 AM
MY EXPECTATIONS OTHER THAN THE RESULT OF THE DJOKOVIC/RODDICK MATCH :

Djokovic (as usual) will put his acting skills on display and pretend that he has 60 mysterious injuries !!!!!

The guys in Hollywood should take notice , this guy could have an am