Only one more step!

06.09.2008 | Tennis

Roger will play the final of the US Open for the fifth consecutive time! He defeated Serbian Novak Djokovic 6-3 5-7 7-5 6-2.

In a match that was a repeat of last year's final, our champ hammered 20 aces in his best performance of the tournament to set up a final against either world number one Rafael Nadal or British sixth seed Andy Murray. "I am so excited to be back in the final again," Roger said in a courtside interview. "I've worked hard all season to do well in the big ones. (To win) here at the Open would mean a hell of a lot to me."

Chasing his first grand slam title of the year but 13th overall, Roger played an almost perfect opening set. Third seed Djokovic, who beat Roger on his way to his first grand slam title at the Australian Open in January, looked flat early on but lifted his game to move ahead 4-1 in the second set. Roger hit back to be on even terms at 4-4 but Djokovic broke in the 12th game to level the match. In the end, Roger won a tight service game to lead 4-2, he broke again in the next game before clinching victory with a forehand winner.

Should Roger play Nadal, it would be their third straight meeting in a grand slam final, with the Spaniard having won both at the French Open and Wimbledon.

"Who do I prefer to play? I prefer the trophy, that's what I prefer," said Roger, who was deposed as world number one last month. "But I guess I would have to say Rafa because we've had such great battles over the year. Wimbledon was unbelievable so I hope we can have another one."

09/09/2008 | 05:09 AM
When defeats were mounting and nothing seemed great,
The Olympics gave us something to celebrate,
A spark in which you marked your "return",
To the familiar Grand Slam stage you've always known,
US OPEN - they love you there,
5 in a row??? Critics an
09/09/2008 | 03:44 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
09/09/2008 | 03:14 AM
Roger,

Well done!! Congratulations!! You're officially back - not that you were ever far away.

Living in Melbourne, Australia, I missed the whole match as it was on at 7-9am - when I was just getting to work! I'll have to watch the highlights on
09/09/2008 | 03:01 AM
Dear Roger,

BRAVO, BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS !!!
GRET, GREAT match ! You played BRILLIANT and were absolutely AMAZING and FANTASTIC today. Thank you, thank you so much ...
You DID IT, you DID IT, you WON and now you have your 13 GS title and you have
09/09/2008 | 02:42 AM
CONGRATS NEW RECORD HOLDER 5 STRAIT WIMBLEDON US OPEN!!!
09/09/2008 | 02:41 AM
CONGRATS NEW RECORD HOLDER 5 STRAIT WIMBLEDON US OPEN!!!
09/09/2008 | 02:36 AM
CONGRATS Roger...I'm SO happy for you. You know I am having an important exam coming, but I'd managed to spare my little free time ONLY to watch you play in the final. I'm so, so proud of you. Despite the toughness earlier this year, you show your streng
09/09/2008 | 02:34 AM
Lucky 13, Federwonder, Lucky 13, and more work for Mirka to do, dusting off another trophy! I'm in the comment section of your next to last win, but since you've already won even though the story isn't here yet, I'm saying congratulations. I hear you we
09/09/2008 | 02:33 AM
GREAT congratulations ROGER!
09/09/2008 | 02:30 AM
Roger,
Congrats again for showing to the whole world that there is only ONE KING at the flusding meadows. No one else but King Roger. Thank you for teaching all of your rivals how to play GOOD REAL TENNIS. Claim now what's really yours, that is, the No.