Roger back in style

16.10.2008 | Tennis

Roger returned from his five-week break to beat Radek Stepanek (ATP 30), 6-3, 7-6 (6), yesterday in the second round of the Madrid Masters.

"I think I moved with a spring in my step. My feeling out there was positive and confident which is a good feeling to have in the first match which tends to be very tricky," Roger said after the match.

Roger had a perfect start and took a 3-0 lead as Stepanek's serve fell apart. But the world number 30 stepped up in the second set, winning all but one of the points on his first serve, and seized the advantage in the set decider. But our champ did what he can do so well: increase the pressure in critical moments. He rallied from a 5-3 deficit in the tiebreaker with some excellent shotmaking, including a backhand that landed in the far corner on match point. Roger went on to take the tie break 8-6 and the match in one hour and 26 minutes.

10/17/2008 | 08:59 AM
Thanks "brilliantroger" for the links on free streaming and also the article on Fedex paying tribute to legends.. Just shows the class of this guy and how humble he is that he makes it a point to think about others who contributed to this sport.. The grea
10/17/2008 | 08:00 AM
dear roger, i forget to tell you you made our day since wednesday we always in high spirit my cows are very inspired since then they always excited when they know your playing as a reward to us they gave us a lot of milk since wednesday thank you rog
10/17/2008 | 07:43 AM
** dear roger** well done!!!!!!!!!!!!! im worried last nite about you against tsonga we know his quite a very tough player but when the fans said that you just finish him in 62 minute we really agreed that you really back on track amazing game we didn
10/17/2008 | 07:43 AM
Dear Roger

Congratulations on a fantastic win against Tsonga. Your movement was superb, especially in the 10th game to bring you your first set point. Even the commentators were spellbound. Good luck for your next match against Del Potro, just keep
10/17/2008 | 07:38 AM
Goooooood Morning

The Meastro's win just gave me an extra bounce in my step this morning. Can anyone confirm the game starting time as being 4pm? Will have to run away from work to watch it at the gym ehehehehe

On another note, I think Fed handle
10/17/2008 | 07:20 AM
complimenti roger!! ho visto solo un pezzo di partita perchè patisco troppo... ma che spettacolo!! grandioso .... e spettacolare ..ROGER
10/17/2008 | 07:15 AM
congratulations Roger, have a good match against Del Potro, I´m your fan and i´ll be waiting for your triumph,GOOD LUCK!...
10/17/2008 | 06:22 AM
Rogie!

Didn't get to see your match but watched the highlights tonight-- looking very sharp indeed!

***nija***I'm sorry I forgot to thank you in my last comment for thinking and worrying about me.

***Tilou***Just read your "roast" a few pages bac
10/17/2008 | 06:16 AM
Fderer Vs Del Potro.
10/17/2008 | 06:09 AM
*Federer's tribute to legends

Roger Federer paid tribute to the legends of the game after becoming the leading prize money winner in tennis history