Roger sets up Murray rematch

17.10.2008 | Tennis

Roger beat ninth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina 6-3, 6-3 today to reach the Madrid Masters semifinals, where he will face Andy Murray in a rematch of the U.S. Open final.

Roger used an effective slice serve on the fast indoor surface and was never broken. "The slice goes nicely on this court, I felt good using it to counter Juan Martin's height," our star said. Roger also played serve-and-volley, chip and charge returns and clean passing shots against his 20-year-old opponent. Del Potro served 12 aces, including 11 in the first set, but couldn't trouble Roger. "He started serving great, many aces," Roger said. "That's what makes him the good player he is. I had the ability to stay calm and use my slice well here in Madrid where conditions are very quick."

Roger, who missed last week's Stockholm Open due to fatigue, said he felt happy with his physical condition. "I don't know what would have happened if I'd gone to Stockholm, but I'm playing well here," he said.

10/19/2008 | 07:16 AM
I must say, we can stop focusing on loss. I've watched the match for the second time today. It was so even. In the 3rd set at 3 -3 with the 1st set 6 -3 and the 2nd at 3 - 6, the match could easily gone either way. Winning is not the be all and end al
10/18/2008 | 05:12 PM
Roger doesn't need to win Madrid to prove he is a great player , to me he is the greatest of all time already.

Plus , with a player of Roger's caliber just turning 27 and chasing the record and history books I get the feeling that :

IT'S ALL ABOUT
10/18/2008 | 05:09 PM
Let’s not read too much into this loss. Roger was given an extremely tough draw… and played superb the entire tournament. He is not yet 100% but playing here was an opportunity to test his game. Today he just lost a match, a tight (best of 3) match to a t
10/18/2008 | 05:06 PM
Although I am sure that Federer looks healthy again , yet I still feel he is not 100 % physically and mentally.

Physically :

In his matches leading up to the semis , he used to give up a lot of balls he usually chased down , plus his speed is not 10
10/18/2008 | 05:02 PM
Dear Roger,

No matter you win or loss
I am always believe on you!
You always be our King! our Number No.1
support you forever!
10/18/2008 | 05:00 PM
Dear Roger,
Sorry, but what happened to your serve? You never should have lost this match, difficult as Murray can be to play. Plus the forehand. I expect you'll be much better next year. Again, sorry to see you lose, it made me very sad.
10/18/2008 | 04:56 PM
Congratulation,MY CHAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with Murray!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO ROGIE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you

Dasha.
10/18/2008 | 04:56 PM
Dear Champ
I'm very sorry and feeling sad but promise me its last time 2 loss against him please.
10/18/2008 | 04:52 PM
Kia Ora Roger,
Thank you for a wonderful week of tennis, and so sorry you were'nt able to pull it off against Andy Murray. It was an incredible ask particularly with Andy serving so well in the last two sets. Still it was a very tense match and some exci
10/18/2008 | 04:49 PM
DEAR ROGER,

Well, I had a tough morning today and I was hoping you would win so I could feel a little relieved.. However, even if I'm sad I'M NOT DISAPPOINTED because you gave a REALLY GOOD match and you lost honorably!
But FIRST must always come HE