Roger out in Shanghai after thriller

14.11.2008 | Tennis

Roger's quest for a fifth title at the Masters Cup was ended today. Our champ lost the extraordinary final group match 6-4, 6-7(3) 5-7 to Briton Andy Murray.

"I don't quit once I step on court. Guess you got to drill me one in the eye, then maybe. But otherwise I don't quit," he said. "The body was hurting, you know. Normally a best-of-three match is peanuts. So it was a pity I couldn't handle it today."

Roger started off well in the first set, attacking Murray's second serve and breaking him to take a 3-1 lead. The Briton's failed drop-shot attempt handed Roger the set 6-4. In the second set, Murray took a 5-2 lead, but Roger made an awesome comeback to 6-6. But Murray then went on to clinch the tie-break that followed 7-3.

Before the start of the final set, Roger received treatment on his lower back. He fell behind at first, but improved rapidly as the set progressed, and won four games in a row to take a temporary lead. Unfortanately he gave it away, with Murray making it all clear with his ninth match-ball.

Another Masters Cup win would have put Roger on par with Ivan Lendl and Pete Sampras with five Masters Cup titles.

"It's been a good year, you know," Roger said. "Tough to start off with. Tough to end. But I think it gives me the opportunity to start over all new again next year."

11/24/2008 | 01:34 PM
U R always the BEST
11/22/2008 | 04:20 AM
YOU ARE MY NO 1
11/22/2008 | 04:20 AM
YOU ARE MY NO 1
11/21/2008 | 09:23 PM
Dearest Roger,

It has been a roller coaster year.
It has been a good but tough year for you and you have weathered it extremely well. I don't know how you handle all the criticism but you do it like a true sportsman, a real champion.
You are and wi
11/21/2008 | 01:34 AM
Dear Roger,

I admire your performance, athleticism and spirit. Although you lost your ranking and some major titles, you can regain it in 2009, I am sure. every dificulty shows us what we are made of. And you, Roger Federer, are not made of the same s
11/20/2008 | 05:32 PM
i finally saw you in shanghai. and you're still #1 to me. :)

xoxo,
tuch
11/20/2008 | 07:06 AM
Go ahead roger... go ahead........... to regain ur 1st rank............... u r the best always...........
11/19/2008 | 03:18 PM
SWEET ROGER, A FANTASTIC SHOW OF COURAGE & SKILL, JUST IMAGINE IF YOUR WERE FULLY FIT, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN SLAUGHTERED ON THE SPOT & I WOULD NOT HAVE HEARD THE BRITISH PRESS GO MAD.
ANYWAY, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON WHEN THIS CAN ALL BE PUT RIGH
11/18/2008 | 10:38 PM
Hey Rog. You played really good and even when you're not feeling good. Be proud of yourself Roger.
Your fans are ALWAYS with you, because you are THE BEST and the History going to write it.

The next year when you will be 100% again, it gonna be Ve
11/18/2008 | 03:55 PM
Dear Master...what an awesome display of professionalism!
You are trully an inspiration! Even injured you are a God of Tennis! :)
I´m sure the next year will be different because...well, you deserve it!
Now it´s time to rest...
Best wishes