Murray too strong once more

09.01.2009 | Tennis

Roger unfortunately was not able to stop Andy Murray, losing the semifinal of the Qatar Open 7-6 (6), 2-6, 2-6. Murray's career record against Roger now is 5-2 in tour matches.

"It is disappointing to lose after the first set when things were going my way," Roger said. "I just couldn't give the knockout punch. But it is not a big thing. Andy is a tough player against me. I hope when big matches come, I beat him."

Our champ committed four double faults and had 37 unforced errors, the same number as his winners. In the first set, Roger raced to a 4-1 lead as he dominated Murray from the baseline with his backhand. The Scot then took advantage of a few unforced errors to pull even at 5-5. Roger, the 2005 and 2006 winner in Qatar, fought back to fend off a set point, and served out the set with an ace and a forehand winner, clenching his fist.

Roger's level of play dropped in the second set, as he made seven unforced errors against Murray’s three. A double service break handed the Scot the second set 6-2, as he took advantage of two double faults in one service game. In the final set, Murray was leading 2-1 when he stopped to get treatment on his lower back from the tournament trainer after showing pain after hitting a serve. Roger, who is one major short of tying Pete Sampras’s record 14 Grand Slam victories, had his serve broken in the next game as the Scot consistently attacked his backhand; then going on to win the match.

Next up is the AAMI Classic in Kooyong, the last preparation for the Australian Open starting on January 19th.

01/15/2009 | 04:57 PM
I LOVE YOU ROGER
01/15/2009 | 04:57 PM
I LOVE YOU ROGER
01/14/2009 | 01:32 PM
Hello Roger
What a joy it was for me to sit there and watch a healthy relaxed Roger walk on to the court.
Wonderful seeing you live again--a great work out for you. Some lovely shots at the net,one around the post and the flexibility of that forehand
01/14/2009 | 09:15 AM
No worries Roger your doing Great!!!
Just the beginning of another fantastic season.

I can't wait to see you play in the AO! Because even though it's always great to see you on the courts, in this special occasions you always manage to shine the most
01/14/2009 | 09:04 AM
I sat in the front row and could really appreciate Roger's play. He really is like a prowling panther - or lion, since he's a Leo. He looked very relaxed except for a few "aieees", but he did seem bothered a little either by his shoes or his footing. It
01/14/2009 | 08:23 AM
jamiechin

sorry to say that we miss roger game we really fast asleep while we waiting for roger game i'm not so sure what time will start here (ukTime) and unfortunately we ca'nt find the kooyong live stream .. oh! well i will try my best to join
01/14/2009 | 08:17 AM
Wow! The fans are out in full force; tis pity I missed Rogie's match-- had to work late! So many fans made such amazing comments and I'm too tired (it's 2:14 am here) to respond to each of the ones I admired. However, I applaud all of the diehards who
01/14/2009 | 08:11 AM
** dear roger**

well done our champ as i read the fans post this morning you play well keep up the good work and good luck in the next round.. lots of love for u always..xx go rogi go.
01/14/2009 | 07:08 AM
hey marycorbin...
thnx a lot for the interview..
all that roger needs ia a couple of good wins to boost up his confidence... lets hope Kooyong can do that!!!

guys
please keep the article updated on the kooyong open .as its not televised in India, i
01/14/2009 | 06:01 AM
Rogerholics,

Krist posted this in the Forum on Roger's coaching situation. It surprised me--thought you would be interested:

In the Kooyong press-conference, here:
http://www.aamiclassic.com.au/files/09AAMICLASSICPRESSCONF13.01.09.doc.doc Roger co