Roger breezes through

19.01.2009 | Tennis

Roger got his bid for a record 14th Grand Slam title underway today with a 6-1, 7-6 (4), 7-5 victory over Andreas Seppi.

"He is a very tough customer, he played really well," Roger said of the 35th-ranked Seppi. "I think I played well, too. I had to."

Our champ was at his best on the big points on the opening day. He certainly raced through the first set but seemed to take his foot off the accelerator in the second. He managed to win the match without dropping a single service game but he had to save ten break points.

He faces Russian qualifier Evgeny Korolev (ATP 118, a cousin of Anna Kurnikowa) in the next round.

04/06/2009 | 02:46 AM
.THE FACT THAT FEDERER SMASHED HIS RACKET SHOULD SHOW THE PUBLIC -AND HIS SISSY FANS- THAT FEDERER IS JUST A PRICK WITH NO MANNERS WHATSOEVER....

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT HIS FANS FALL FOR HIS IMAGE OF NICE BOY WHO CRIES HIS HEART OUT EVE
01/21/2009 | 09:02 AM
Hi rog,

Congrats.

Wow, fantastic perfomance..
KOROLEV is not Safin though, so i Know you have a different technique beating him..

Keep winning..

best!
01/21/2009 | 08:38 AM
Good see you back roger.You are simply the best.Its such a joy to see you play well.Go n get them give us another grandslam win.you are simply the best.hurrey............Rupa yoong
01/21/2009 | 08:17 AM
Go, Roger!! You played really well in the second round =))
I wish you good luck!! We, russians believe in you =))) and support you even when you play with Safin
01/21/2009 | 08:13 AM
Dearest Roger,

Congratulations! You passed the second test. I couldn't watch it because of my work, but it seemed a nice one! I'm going to enjoy it when I get home.
Thank you and have a nice rest for a while.

Cheers,
Kei
from Japan
01/21/2009 | 07:55 AM
ROGER!!!

You are Superman!

It's a bird!
It's a plane!
It's Smash Lob Man!

Great work of the first Russian. On to Marat. Take him down memory lane from 2005 and Smash him!

You're the winning-est winner of all!

K.Elle
01/21/2009 | 07:32 AM
Congratulations, Roger!

Goodluck on the rest of the Aus Open, and keep up the good work.
01/21/2009 | 07:14 AM
Bravo dear Roger !!!

I'm so happy for you.
What a great match - unbelievable ! You were amazing. BRILLIANT.

Thank you for the unvorgettable moments.

Good luck in next round against Safin.

***Dear Rogerholics, thank you ALL for this wonderful
01/21/2009 | 07:02 AM
Congrats. Feddy baby..
Congrats. fans..
Roger cruised thru to the 3rd round defeating Korolev in 3 sets. We here in the United States have a wonderful new President today.. what a wonderful day..
LUV YA CHAMP.. SAW A GLIMPSE OF YOU ON TV ON THE PRACTI
01/21/2009 | 06:57 AM
Way to go, Roger! Job well done! When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!!! Good luck against Safin..a real cruncher this one!!!