A brilliant display

23.01.2009 | Tennis

Roger powered into the next round of the Australian Open today, defeating fellow former champion Marat Safin in straight sets 6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (5).

"It's special to play Marat, we go way back. I think we like playing each other. It doesn't matter who wins, it is always a good contest," our champ said.

The two ex-number ones have met in Melbourne twice before, with Roger winning the 2004 final and Safin winning a classic semi a year later en-route to the title.

Roger had a close look at Safin's serve in the fifth game of the first set and pounced in the seventh, creaming a backhand down the line and snapping up the first break point on a double fault. Roger whipped another backhand to break early in the second and went a double break up with a heavy forehand before sealing the set with a simple volley.

A furious Safin berated the line judge when he was foot-faulted in the third set tie-break and charged back from 4-1 down but Roger blazed an ace and service winner and took the first match point with another memorable backhand.

Roger will play Tomas Berdych (ATP 21) in the next round and is on track to meet defending champion Djokovic in the semi-finals.

01/25/2009 | 01:41 PM
FOR POHKAH22

FIRST SET 6-1 FOR DJOKO

SO KEEP ON DREAMING ABOUT
BAGHDATIS WILL BEAT DJOKO

NOW WAY........
01/25/2009 | 01:04 PM
Gunbriang and bn, thank you so much for giving it back to eeee, he is such a silly idiot. I read most of his comments and he was just so negative. What a naysayer that doesn't believe in the power of Roger.
eeee, u are such an arseh--- believe me, u don'
01/25/2009 | 12:22 PM
I didn't watch the match after the first break of serve at the start of the match -- I presumed it was going to be a long long night as Birdy was firing missiles.

Anyway -- I woke up early morning to see other matches and when I heard one commentator
01/25/2009 | 09:49 AM
Boy I'm really disappointed in you **eeee**, for even thinking you're a fan of Roger. The only thing you're doing is badmouthing Roger. What you want in a tennis player is a "Robot". Well, Roger is human and he does make mistakes, so does anybody else. So
01/25/2009 | 09:46 AM
Right ON!
The mighty Thunderer Down Underer!
That's my Federer...will of a warrior, heart of a champion!!!!!

***eeee***
Only Roger could come back and win that 5 setter. No way would the other darlings you are so fond of. You should know betterer
01/25/2009 | 09:42 AM
well done roger
goooooooooooo roger
delpotro is very strong
01/25/2009 | 09:39 AM
bnn ,

If b*** means the "B" word , then you are insulting me , disagreeing with my comments doesn't give you the right to call me bad words !!!!!!!

So do me a favour will you ?

Get a bucket , fill it with cockroaches , shove it down your throat a
01/25/2009 | 09:38 AM
eeee

we know that Murray was recently the best .

for your information, Murray says that Roger is the best player ever.

01/25/2009 | 09:34 AM
*eeee*

here is a site for you to leave your comments.

it's more of sparta type, taking people down. He even likes to show himself shirtless - lots of new muscles, sure you like it - young blood.

I'm just a bit sick
01/25/2009 | 09:33 AM
Congratulatory message for what Pokah22:

For 40 unforced errors

5 Double Faults

69% net points won

67% break point conversion

67% service percentage

Stop living in wonderland , Roger's performance today was terrible , if he plays like th