Taking the rivalry to a new level

31.01.2009 | Off Court

Sunday's match between Roger and Rafael Nadal will be their 19th encouter as professional tennis players. But the final of the Australian Open will take their rivalry to another level. The two have never met Down Under before. And it is the first time that Nadal will enter the court as world number one.

Roger has been defeated 12 times in 18 career meetings. The question now is whether Rafa can beat Roger on hard courts. This will be the Spaniard's first major final on the surface he has found hardest to master and on which Roger has ruled for five years. Roger won both matches they played on hard courts so far: 2006 and 2007 at the Tennis Masters in Shanghai. Our champ has won eight of his 13 Grand Slam titles on hard courts and has certainly proved that he is in great shape with impressive displays in Melbourne.

Roger is moving forward in many aspects of tennis history. With this weekend's final he is just one shiy of Ivan Lendl’s unprecedented 19 major final appearances. And a win would lift him into a tie with Pete Sampras for 14 Grand Slam titles. “It’s an unbelievable opportunity for me, not being No. 1 anymore, trying to beat No. 1 in the world and getting the 14th Grand Slam,” Roger said.

02/08/2009 | 01:34 AM
It's just funny to see how some people think that Federer is better than Rafa. I mean, Rafa beat him in clay almost every time they met on that surface -in fact I seem to recolect that the last match was really embarassing for the world of tennis
02/06/2009 | 10:25 PM
OMG Boston Globe is soooooo WRONG!!! Damn Nadal is a thief not our Roger.
Roger is a champion!!He is the best tennis player I've ever seen he is so gracious emotional and so polite...I can't believe nadal got that trophy..He mustn't win that one...It's R
02/04/2009 | 09:18 PM
Dear Roger,

Tennis fans around the world knows you can beat Nadal on any given day. I guess every one believes in you to make history with 14 Grand Slams. This 2009 French Open is there for you to make history!!! I know you can win this French Open..
02/04/2009 | 11:02 AM
hi roger
i love you so much..for me you're no.1 for ever.
Don't give up you can back I know that
02/04/2009 | 05:24 AM
As long as we can see you play is the greatest happiness!???????????????!ROGER
02/04/2009 | 01:23 AM
Roger -
You are a great champion and never forget it. You will get the 14th and tie Pete Sampras. I hope you get more and beat his record. Work hard. Nadal has holes in his game.
02/03/2009 | 10:54 PM
Dear Roger,
I couldn't help notice that when you played your serve and volley game you were wining the points quiet quickly from Rafa. When you played Rafa's game you were in the rally for 12-18 strokes and he was winning. It is time to play Rafa with se
02/03/2009 | 06:23 PM
Sorry you did not win Roger But dont give up there are many more opportunity for you to tie and beat Pete Sampras Slam titles.

02/03/2009 | 04:42 PM
i believe in you Roger!!!!c'mon you will be the n.1 in our hearts
02/03/2009 | 10:50 AM
Roger you are the best Tennis player ever to grace the earth. All you have to do now is break Sampras' record then retire King! You own Rafa even though he beat you, if you can up your fitness and defensive skillz by 5% you will own Rafa all day long, you