Roger joins last eight

14.05.2009 | Tennis

Roger was close to his best form today, easing into the quarterfinals of the Madrid Masters with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over James Blake.

He broke the American's serve with a crashing backhand return to start off with and soon after managed another break at 4-2. He went on to take the set and opened the second with yet another break. Roger showed a solid performance, wrapping up victory with a fifth ace on his first match point. Our champ had been knocked out by James Blake at the Olympic Games in Beijing last year; their head-to-head now stands at 9-1.

Roger will play the winner of the match later today between sixth seed Andy Roddick and Nikolay Davydenko.

05/15/2009 | 05:40 PM
the unreal fans keep saying
roger federer has a lot of work to do
if he ever wants to win roland garos
he cannot compete with three young players
in the physical state he is in this moment
impossible try to be honest that will be better
05/15/2009 | 04:57 PM
yesssssssssssss go roger
05/15/2009 | 04:56 PM

Dear Roger,

BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS.

It was GREAT match. Fantastic and brilliant play. Wonderful. You are AMAZING.
I'm proud of YOU.
You must be very happy now. Enjoy this victory. You deserve it!!!
Good luck in SF....

Al the
05/15/2009 | 04:47 PM
Dear Roger,
You played absolutely awesome today. It's just so very, very enjoyable to watch you play. No other players in this world could play like you. Nadal's game is sh-t to compare with you. Ignore those people who always give you unfair and over-ex
05/15/2009 | 04:45 PM
There's no doubt that Roger's game still needs to improve. He wasnt' exactly playing a clay-court specialist out there.

He needs to be much sharper and cleaner, and to get his first serves in early o'clock, if he wants to contest RG.

Sure, he won, b
05/15/2009 | 04:44 PM
I couldn't watch the entire last set, but I saw that Roger began picking up his game.... (I was too nervous to watch it all the way through..!) By the time I got back from walking the pooch, the match was over, and I see that RF was the victor!!! YAY!!
05/15/2009 | 04:42 PM
The beginning of your set 3 was so stunning to make Andy Roddick give up the match.

Your smile come, confidence there, a good sign, a positive image re-built in progress.

So long haven't seen a real tennis match from you, but my worries over your l
05/15/2009 | 04:42 PM
Congratulations Rog,
All the best in d semis & i don't think Murray wil be in semis, may be Del potro.
05/15/2009 | 04:40 PM
****dkm&petroleum,

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.
05/15/2009 | 04:39 PM
My Swiss Knight:
You stood your ground after losing the 2nd set and came back and broke twice.. a big WOW. I am grinning ear to ear and so happy. Thank you Champ.
I struggled however with livestreaming, could not see you well, couldn't see the ball, w