Roger cruises into Final

16.05.2009 | Tennis

Roger cruised past Juan Martin Del Potro with a 6-3 6-4 victory today, playing his first final on clay this season tomorrow - against Rafael Nadal.

It was only after the first five games that Roger started making the key points and broke del Potro to love in the eighth game to take a 5-3 advantage. He served out the set comfortably and then dominated his opponent throughout the second set. He had no real trouble, continuing to play on a constant level and left a strong impression after finishing the match in 81 minutes.

So an exciting match between the world numbers one and two awaits us tomorrow. They will meet for the 20th time, Roger having lost the last five encounters and even laying back 1-9 in the statistics on clay. But Roger certainly proved that he is in excellent shape today and he will meet a rather tired Rafael Nadal in the final as the Spaniard's battle against Novak Djokovic today was all but a walk in the park.

05/18/2009 | 09:38 PM
Congrats Roger!! U R THE BEST!! U have it in you to WIN ALL the remaining Grand Slams!! Praying for you!! God Bless!! Love you always!! This is JUST THE BEGINNING!!
05/18/2009 | 10:49 AM
My dearest Roger Federer ,
Congrajulations on your victory over Nadal at Madrid open . But do not be complacent . You must produce your best at Rolandgarros to win the Grand slam title there . Madrid is comparatively faster court than RG , where as RG is
05/17/2009 | 07:35 PM
Thank god, roger is back again. He may have been helped by nadal's tough match yesterday, but we did see a different , more focussed Roger....no more shanking the ball left and right...
05/17/2009 | 07:10 PM
I'M IN LOVE WITH A FAIRY TAIL: ROLAND GARROS..
05/17/2009 | 06:48 PM
Roger's serve was excellent in Madrid.

That's how he should play.

He got two points to break Nadal and converted them.

Nadal got 4 but could not do anything.

05/17/2009 | 06:38 PM
Dear Roger,

BRAVO, BRAVO BRAVO!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your win and first title this year. You deserve it!

I'm so, so happy now.
What a wonderful day, wonderful Sunday.

THANK YOU Roger.
It was FANTASTIC, GREAT match. You played BRILLIANT an
05/17/2009 | 06:35 PM
A lovely awards ceremony, although quite long. I thought the boys looked at ease with each other. The shorter hair suits Nada better than the long, scraggly look.

I was very happy to see Dinara win - she's as tall as Roger. I thought she was just unde
05/17/2009 | 06:33 PM
Yes I was also worried when he was down in the last game and thought it would go 5-5 and then he might fade but NO. Roger's mental strength is back. He didn't crumple. When you think of how Nadal can play usually, he seemed kind of weak today. I don't
05/17/2009 | 06:27 PM
When Roger was serving for the match and was 15-40 down, Nadal getting his 2nd break, my heart sank, I couldn't even bear to look, I thot he was going to lose that game and if he ever did, Nadal would have gotten back to the game. I am so glad he won with
05/17/2009 | 06:26 PM