Next up: Tommy Haas

30.05.2009 | Tennis

Roger reached the last 16 of the French Open today with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 win over Paul-Henri Mathieu.

"It was a tough match and the wind made it difficult to control the ball," Roger said. "It was a great atmosphere and we were playing better and better. The conditions were not easy but we played a great match."

Roger survived a few nervous moments before he managed to cope with the windy conditions and control the match against the Frenchman. After saving five break points during his opening service games, Mathieu pounced on his only opportunity to break for 4-3 and the local favourite protected his advantage to bag the first set with a scorching ace. But Roger did not allow his opponent to stay on top for long, taking a 3-0 lead straight away in the second set. The match continued in an entertaining manner on a very high level with Roger taking the points that mattered. Eventually, Roger sealed victory with a thumping forehand winner to set up a last-16 encounter with Germany's Tommy Haas. Roger fired a total of 11 aces and broke Mathieu five times.

06/01/2009 | 04:51 PM
There were many times when Roges loses immediately after Nadal does.

This Happened in Rome 2008, and many other tournments.

I think it is because , everyone is pushing on him to win.

Hope Roger will be fine in QF.

This time I expect Roddick t
06/01/2009 | 04:28 PM
Hey Rog.
I forgot to say that you are awesome on court and I love your smiles.
Three more matchs.Just go and get it with your heart but no more pressure.
Go Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06/01/2009 | 04:23 PM
Tommy Robredo is going to win over Kohschreiber, couldn't pull it off again after defeating Djokovic.
06/01/2009 | 04:22 PM
Tsonga shld shake off his nerves and start playing well. He is in front of his crowd and they will cheer him on if he starts playing well.
06/01/2009 | 04:20 PM
Yes it's true that I only watched 'snippets' of the last fifth set and nearly none of the third and fourth. For the fifth set I went out and watered the garden even though it is starting to rain here in Luxembourg!!!! I would go in and take a peek and s
06/01/2009 | 04:19 PM
obviously, Nadal's loss put more pressure on Roger. It is very subtle, that the media, the audience and the opponent get the feeling of expecting surprise coming along. Roger was tense at the beginning. But when it came to the deciding point, the pressure
06/01/2009 | 04:18 PM
Thank God you win.
I always believe that you can go through this match even in the 3rd set at 3-3 and you did it.
Keep going.Don't think about the title or the 14 th GS.Just win each match,step by step.
We are with you all the way.
Go Roger!!!!!!!!!!!
06/01/2009 | 04:15 PM
Boting, so sad on the air france plane with 228 passengers. I heard the news when I woke up this morning and guess they disappeared out of the radar last nite. Doesn't sound like there wil be a survivor. They would have crashed in some dessert out there i
06/01/2009 | 04:14 PM
Dutchlady, harsh words for Filo and I think he deserves it. He is the most negative person on this site but then again.
Filo, I accept your apology cos it's usually hard for u to believe that you are wrong. Luxlady,..
keep on keeping on, we shld all s
06/01/2009 | 04:13 PM