Roger books last four spot

03.06.2009 | Tennis

Roger is only two more wins away from completing a career Grand Slam! He eased past France's Gaël Monfils in straight sets 7-6(6), 6-2 and 6-4 this afternoon to advance to the semifinals of the French Open.

"I was very nervous as I had not felt too well during the past matches and had not hit the ball that well. But this time it went well right from the start," Roger said and added: "I hope to play two more matches here."

Our champ was in control of his serve throughout the entire match and capitalised on the errors of Monfils to secure the victory. He placed just 57 percent of his first serves in play but won 80 percent of those offerings and never had his serve broken. In comparison Monfils’ serve was broke by Roger on three of five opportunities.

Roger did have to save a set point in the first-set tiebreak before clinching it 8-6. He then marched on with a double break in the second and a last break in the ninth game in the third set which eventually brought him one more step closer to the only Grand Slam title missing in his collection.

Roger will play his fifth consecutive semi-final at the French Open against either Juan Martin del Potro or Tommy Robredo on Friday.

06/06/2009 | 12:42 PM
Hi roger,you are the skills,pshychologist future and history of tennis. you know which points you want and don't want.I am so proud of you.I like your poker face,style of playing tennis and saving energy on unwanted points we fans always with you.God ble
06/06/2009 | 07:45 AM
Go Roger...keep winning...it was an amazing match...You deserve to win the french Open...Go for the 14th MAjor!
All of my support and my best wishes are for you!
Good Luck!
06/06/2009 | 07:41 AM
i am logging in again to transfer all the positive energy and wish all the best to Roger on Sunday! I want him to break him as early as possible and dominate every single point. God bless you Roger! Wish you best of luck! With love from Kazakhstan
06/06/2009 | 07:29 AM
Yes "mardeo" I will definitely watch the first sets and then go water my garden LOL!!! I will be way to rervous to watch the whole thing esp if Soderling gets ahead. With the Gonzales Soderling match I kept wishing for Gonzo to take a break from the guy
06/06/2009 | 07:28 AM
thank you for fighting out there and winning the match! a lot of tough opponents during this tournament, but you showed us that you can take them on and fight with a BIG heart! one more to go - rooting for you.

ALLLEEZZZZ ROGER!!!
06/06/2009 | 07:27 AM
are you trying to kill us roger?

any way just win. no matter what?

love u.......... just do it
06/06/2009 | 07:26 AM
dear roger,

youre like MARMITE our advert here,
either I will LOVE you or HATE you!
OMG!!Im not breathing!!!its very pulsating games and del potro is GOOD!but as you said,
YOU had the experienced ..but whenever you play a 5 setter games..all you fan
06/06/2009 | 07:25 AM
Please Roger have a good rest day and eat, drink and do whatever you did before the Monfils match. I was scared of him but you dominated that match. I was not too scared of Del Potro but it was way to close for comfort there. You made it though! I'm v
06/06/2009 | 07:24 AM
GO GO ROGER GO GO! OUR GREATEST KING!! WE R ALL READY FOR THE FINAL WIN!!!
06/06/2009 | 07:09 AM
What a match, a thriller, really an epic match,you played great both,nice you are in the final,the last step to keep the trophy up.
Good luck champion!!!!