Roger fights off challenge

03.09.2009 | Tennis

Roger had to fight off a few challenging moments from Simon Greul, but marched on into the next round of the US Open without dropping a set. He dispatched the German 6-3 7-5 7-5.

"I just had to make him play more shots, be more tough," said Roger. "I had to raise my level today to win because that's what was required to get through."

In his first match under the lights in 2009, Roger won the second-round match in straight sets but it was not a straightforward win as the world number 65 forced our top seed to play some top-drawer tennis earlier in the tournament than he is accustomed to. Roger will next face Lleyton Hewitt, who cruised past Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela.

09/05/2009 | 11:55 PM
Congratulations Roger you pulled it off! I just saw the last set - when I started watching it was 4-1 but then Hewitt started catching up. I was glad you won in 4 sets. *Pokah22* how do you get those great tickets and how do you write on the website du
09/05/2009 | 10:33 PM
Dear Roger,
What a match u didn't play ur best tennis, lots off errors but whats matter is u won.
I was sitting on the edge of mine chair

It shows also ur mental strenght to play ur best tennis at the important moment.

Remember u have at every Sla
09/05/2009 | 09:40 PM
Victory for Federer not only sees him reach the fourth round at the US Open for the ninth straight year, but also ensures he will stay at No. 1 in the South African Airways 2009 ATP Rankings following the final major of the year – fighting off competition
09/05/2009 | 09:40 PM
This is a special dedication to Roger which I think says it all from all of us ---
09/05/2009 | 09:32 PM
Roger you did a nice job of winning that match from Hewitt. You started off rather slowly but I always have faith in your ability to come out of nowhere and win the match you are playing. You won't need luck to win your next match. All you need to do is e
09/05/2009 | 09:10 PM
Dear Roger: today is saturday AND YOU WIN HEWITT. CONGRATULATIONES. Your are the best, you make me fell very happy. GOD LUCK FOR THE NEXT
09/05/2009 | 09:09 PM
Great match Roger ...
Ofcourse some may say it was patchy ... But I think that it was important to get the win and thats what matters ... Your No.1 RANKING is SAFE !!! So thats cool ... Now you just need to advance further .. The fact that everyone (top
09/05/2009 | 08:30 PM
hey Champ !
It was a tough match, Hewitt was great today, but you still the greatest one !
Nice victory champ !!
Next...Blake or Robredo...what ever champ !
4 matchs left !!
Come on Roger !
Eugene
09/05/2009 | 08:18 PM
nice work! Congrats!
09/05/2009 | 08:14 PM
the important thing is - you are through to the next round!