Monday's final: Roger vs. del Potro

14.09.2009 | Tennis

Roger will face Juan Martin del Potro in Monday's US Open final after beating Novak Djokovic in straight sets 7-6(3), 7-5, 7-5.

It is the third year running that Roger has beaten Djokovic in New York as he is now only one last step away from his sixth consecutive title! No one has won six U.S. titles in a row since Bill Tilden in the 1920s and no player has captured three Slams in a row in the same year since Rod Laver's 1969 Grand Slam sweep.

The most amazing moment of the semi-final was clearly Roger's forehand hit between the legs which he swatted past an amazed Djokovic into the empty part of the court. "I practice them a lot actually but they never work," Roger said. "That's why I guess it was the greatest shot I ever hit in my life." Having seen a TV replay himself, he commented "That's unbelievable!" His magical shot brought up a match point for Roger. Novak Djokovic did have his chances throughout the match, but was unable to seize them. So Roger took advantage and made everyting clear after 2 hours 34 minutes.

Monday's final will bring Roger's seventh career meeting with Del Potro, our champ having won their previous six meetings.

09/15/2009 | 04:03 AM
Roger,
I am sure you did all you could today. Some days are not as good as others, but in my book, you did Ok. You must have been tired from the previous match. You did well, and if I am very sad deep in my heart, I can't imagine how you must feel. B
09/15/2009 | 04:00 AM
Dear Roger,

First want to thank u for a great tournement and the match u played against Djokovic was not just a tennis match but real artistry. Ur foot work is like a ballet dancer.

Today maybe the pressure was to great but Del
09/15/2009 | 03:44 AM
A loss, that Federer comes once again. A loss, signals of a room for improvement, giving us the direction to go.

Roger, I feel your backhand weapons could have been better. With good weapons rarely used, cognitive recognition of the coming shots seem
09/15/2009 | 03:42 AM
Boting... ???????????????
You are pretty...... and ....... and.....etc
Sad to see a so called FAN to talk like that .

Reverse the roles.... what if it was you that played instead of ROG, would you like to be told all those cruel things.???????

Be
09/15/2009 | 03:29 AM
Hello Roger,
What a match and what a year you have had SO far--I am so very disappointed for you today BUT NEVER in you. For those of us that play the sport of tennis realise that to win always is not easy - either mentally or physically. You have said
09/15/2009 | 03:17 AM
Hi Rog, bad luck .. great game .. am really sorry the game didn't go your way. You've had a fantastic US run and making the finals for 5 consecutive years is an outstanding achievement in itself. Once again loved the red/black combo. x
09/15/2009 | 03:14 AM
Hi Roger

I cry inside, It's hard to see you loss today, Juan Martin has a great tournament too, I knew that this match was going to be difficult for both of you, but life goes on and I know you can win more tournaments your game is beautiful.
Best wis
09/15/2009 | 03:13 AM
rog,the defeat is hard to swallow.but your beater is not Potro itz u who is responsible.I don't know what has happened to ur serve in recent GS finals.lost to nadal bcoz of serve in wimbledon,AO,and now to Del Potro.you have become an inconsistent server.
09/15/2009 | 03:10 AM
BOBAZOO

DEL POTRO WAS THE BETTER PLAYER TODAY
AND HE DESERVES HIS FIRST GS TITTLE
ON THE AGE OF 20 AND THERE WILL BE MORE
BECAUSE HE WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT PLAYER
ON THE TOUR

AND THAT HAS N O T H I N G TO DO WITH
THE WEBSIDE OF RAFAEL NADAL

09/15/2009 | 03:10 AM
we knew you couldn't win every gs forever. after the summer you have had this is not very big. if someone had to beat you i'm glad it was del potro. he's very nice. your consistency stands so heads and shoulders above anyone else, it is ridiculous. every