Roger fresh for week two

23.01.2010 | Tennis

Roger produced a convincing display on serve to progress to the fourth round of the Australian Open with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Albert Montañes (ATP 32).

"He didn't make many mistakes. I expected him to miss a bit more. I needed to make sure I served well because if I had a hiccup on serve it could have been an even closer game," Roger said. "I've come through a difficult draw, I feel physically fine and mentally fresh, but the opponents will get tougher from here."

Our champion broke his Spanish opponent once in each set and did not allow him a single break point on the way to today's victory. He only had a rather short period during the second set when his game did not work like he wanted it to. But he went right on to break Montañes to love to advance 5-4 in the second and then serve out the set. The third was again dominated by Roger who came to an early break, closing the match after 1 hour and 48 minutes.

Roger will now face either Lleyton Hewitt or the 2006 finalist, Marcos Baghdatis, for a place in the quarter-finals. Roger has beaten Baghdatis in all nine of their previous meetings and defeated Hewitt the last 14 times they have played each other.

05/15/2010 | 10:24 AM
Oh boy!! you made me nervous on the first set!! Just stay focused and fight..you'll be fine...all the good luck to you..hope u win coz i always want to see u lift the trophy.BRAVO!!!
01/25/2010 | 12:50 PM
Well Done Roger!!! We had no doubt you could beat Hewitt. Keep playing so well and entertaining us so wonderfully. Looking forward to the next challenge.
Good Luck.
Love Flump
01/25/2010 | 12:43 PM
Hey Rogie!

O MY GOD that was ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING performence bebe, you did everything right and you were not maybe ur second gear .Great to watch and its all credit to you champ WELL DONE! You v every box champ, your attitude,OMG your backhand was
01/25/2010 | 12:29 PM
congrats fedex for ur 3set win over hewitt i thoroughly enjoyed it all the best for ur qf match against davydenko. all the best federer
01/25/2010 | 12:12 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ROGER!!!

GREAT match, BEAUTIFUL, BRILLIANT play. You are AMAZING, AWESOME. Thank you.

Good luck in QF against Davy. Just play your beautiful tennnis, thats all>

Best wishes,

Ewa
01/25/2010 | 12:09 PM
Congratulations Roger on your win against Hewitt. Missed the majority of the match but glad to hear you played well. Looking forward to Davy match!
01/25/2010 | 12:06 PM
Roger congrats winning againt hewit u looking in best of ur form just to need to contain this form to the end of the tournment next u hve to face davydenko and u know better how to play him. U must have to beat him take care and best of luck Champ
01/25/2010 | 12:02 PM
Brilliant, straight sets and good fighting at the end. You ARE a CHAMP. You can & will beat Davydenko. Keep it short.
01/25/2010 | 12:00 PM
Dear Roger
Congratulations! I didn't watch the match, I'm working! But I followed Live scores!!! I'm so happy dear! Thank you for this win, thank you for making me happy!!! Take a good rest and continue like this!!! Davydenko is the next, I sincerely hop
01/25/2010 | 11:53 AM
Amazing match, Roger! Awesome, really. Everything was working. It is an honor to see you play like this.

Good luck against Davydenko!!