Roger flies into final

29.01.2010 | Tennis

Roger will challenge for his fourth Australian Open title this Sunday after he defeated France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-2, 6-3, 6-2, wasting no time and energy.

"It's nice going through a match like that," Roger said. "I think against top players, it's always positive if you can win the first set. It won't be the same story in the next match I play here."

Roger had no problems disposing of the 2008 runner-up today. The Frenchman looked a pale shadow of his best form as our number one did what he pleased to. Tsonga had won their last encounter, in three sets in Montreal last August, but it was never a contest at their third career meeting.

Roger will play the 22nd (!) grand slam final of his career and 18th of the last 19 majors. The only break in the sequence was his semifinal loss to Djokovic in 2008 in the Australian Open, which he has won three times so far. Roger will meet Andy Murray (ATP 5) in Sunday's final. Although the head-to-head is negative for our champ (4-6), Roger has a good feeling as he had been able to defeated the Scotsman clearly in the final of the US Open 2008.

01/31/2010 | 12:53 PM
How sweet!

16!

We are so blessed to be living in the era of Federer.

Enjoy this the next couple of weeks, but please stay within yourself because, remember, we want to get into the 2012 Olympics with a bang.

Shhhh... maybe a calendar slam or
01/31/2010 | 12:46 PM
FANTASTIC LAST SET - congralations - I felt a bit sorry for Andy getting emotional in his speech. I have to admire his playing today. But so glad Roger did it! How great - a first GS as a father!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
01/31/2010 | 12:44 PM
AMAZING TIE-BREAKER - he did it!!!! I was so nervous and I couldn't watch the whole time. Now I will be happy to watch in the replay. What a performance from both players in the last set!!!! I felt a bit sorry for Andy getting so emotional in his speec
01/31/2010 | 12:42 PM
yeeeeehaaaaa......i love Rog.....
01/31/2010 | 12:40 PM
youre unbelievable Roger.i really cant say anything else.how you were able to handle the pressure,very heavy situations and played amazingly with uncountable many amazing shots,unreal ones.ive no words.cant say anything else Roger.youre unbelievable.and c
01/31/2010 | 12:37 PM
ROGER, you are AMAZING< AWESOME! YOU are GREAT< GREAT< GRAT!!!!

BRAVO and CONGRATULATIONS!!!! FANTASTIC WIN!!!!
01/31/2010 | 12:35 PM
i love roger federer. well done roger..sweet 16.. the best tennis player ever.
my tribute to my idol. later i will finish the 16th grand slam video.
my email: jhonatan_lp@hotmail.com
01/31/2010 | 12:35 PM
Champion, 16th, 3 sets, back from behind, what a hero, so telling. Congratulation!

May we have your best shot wallpapers during this AO?
01/31/2010 | 12:34 PM
17TH GRANDSLAM AND 4TH AUSTRALIAN OPEN!!!! WHAT A NUMBER!!! WHAT A RECORD W/C CANNOT BE BEATEN IN A THOUSAND YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! GO ROGER!!!!!WHAT A MIGHTY CHAMP AND HUMANITARIAN U ARE!!!! GREAT MATCH!!!!! SUCH A GREAT MOVEMENTS, FOREHAND AND BACKHA
01/31/2010 | 12:34 PM
well done roger..sweet 16.. the best tennis player ever.
my tribute to my idol. later i will finish the 16th grand slam video.